Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mute

It was already lunchtime and I hadn't taken my breakfast. Meals scheduling were all bad planned ever since I started staying away from home. Those starvation and dehydration had my stomach growled and grumbled all day. Probably hydrochloric acid parties were held in there, eroding my stomach. So, I decided to drive to a nearby restaurant in to pamper my stomach a little bit.

"What drink?", a grumpy man in his late thirties approached me in his deep tone, which sounded like he was having a sorethroat. There was a toothpick gripped between his lips.

"Give me 100 Plus, one", I answered, while showing my index finger.

"Okay, eat what?", he asked again, while the toothpick moved according to the rhythm of his mouth movements.

"Claypot....Chicken Rice...with....Half-cooked Egg", I stuttered, as I reading it from the menu.

"Okay", he answered and walked away almost immediately.

I came to understand that grumpy men will often be straight forward in their talks. It will be wise to follow their waves with no waste of time, otherwise your intention are to trigger their boiling kettle. After my meal, I headed my way to Guardian, a semi pharmacy semi convenience shop just across the road.

"Hello, welcome!", a sweet looking girl at the counter greet me as I walked in.

I nodded to her and walked my way around the shop. Finally, I decided to grab a 1.5 liter bottle of drinking water to keep around in the event of The Day The Earth Stood Still. Laziness always had the best of me for boiling water. After all, I don't fancy chlorine taste much.

There was already a lady at the counter making her payment. I joined in the queue. When it reached my turn;

"Good afternoon sir!", she greet me again with a smile.

I could not do anything but to nod again. There was an urge to smile back at her. But I did not.

"Total is RM1.80."

Immediately, I took out my wallet and handed over the notes.

"Thank you and come again!", she said, without loosen up that obvious intimated smile. "Happy New Year!", she added.

I walked out holding that bottle of water, without uttering a word. I was disappointed with my responses toward her. She must've thought either I was born mute or I was suffering from grumpy men disease.

All those are to be blamed on my mouth ulcer in my right cheek. It got worsen by that hot claypot chicken. Damn!

End.

PS: Recession can't be an excuse not to drink water. Drink more water readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment