Sunday, January 25, 2009

New Year Card

It was a few days earlier, just before the marking of New Year in the Chinese calendar. It was in the plan already for me to drive back all the way to Rawang, my hometown for a reunion dinner. After an hour drive, I reached.

"Ah Wu Jiu Jiu*, you came back!", my nephew said excitedly, running towards me.

"Yeah!"

"Taken your meal?", I asked

"Yes, just now I ate already", he answered.

My eight years old nephew just moved in to stay with us not long ago, since the parents wanted him to continue his primary school here. He has got no choice but to leave all his friends in his previous school, including his girlfriend. Yes, you have heard me right, his girlfriend.

"How's your girlfriend?", I asked, with the intention in teasing him.

"She's fine, she sent me a New Year card though", he whispered.

"Oh?"

"Do you want to see it?"

"Yes, definitely!", I answered in eager.

He ran into his room hastily, just a few seconds then he ran out with a card on his hand. I opened up the card and it was a typical little girl handwriting in Chinese.

"But I don't read Chinese"
, I said.

"Okay, I'll read for you", he replied, taking away the card.

Dear Wilbert, How are you? School already started, you did not attend classes. I'm a bit disappointed. How is your new school? Did you get to know a lot of new friends? I miss you very much. Hope you get a lot of Ang Paos* during this Chinese New Year! -Hui Ni
"That's all", he ended his reading.

"So, did you reply her card?"
, I asked.

"No."

"Why?"

No response.

"Why?"
, I asked again.

"I'm lazy", he said, with his fading voice.

"You cannot like that. You must reply her"
, I uttered, raising my voice.

"Okay", he answered, nodding his head showing the sign of agreed. And he walked away.

I guess he must have missed her too.

End.

*Jiu jiu - uncle
*Ang Pao - red packet filled with money


PS: Quote Ming Kee, "Kids nowadays...."

3 comments:

  1. ah wu jiu jiu!!! hahahaahaha... eh kids nowadays...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah wu jiu jiu! damn i forgot about that. your "unique" hairstyle made me forget that there's still some of the old you down there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey...nice teasing ur nephew..thou i cant denied his innocentness is cute..hehe..im afraid when he gets older n losing his cuteness, the nex time i c him.hmm..hopefully that time he wont be that annoying anymore 2 u .hehe..

    *surprise*!

    ReplyDelete